- About 1.3 billion tonnes of the world’s food is wasted every year and more than 40% of food losses happen at the retail and consumer levels 
- The excess inventory of fresh perishable food items close to their expiration causes waste
The”End Grocery Waste” App automatically and dynamically offers discounted price and other purchasing incentives for fresh perishables approaching their expiration dates.
Utilizing the new Cycled Discount Labeling technique along with the emerging GS1 DataBarTM (a new open barcode standard) and a new Information Technology (IT) element, eliminates labor-intensive manual promotional labeling of products from specific lots. A printed Cycled Discount Label on the product is also automatically associated with a dynamic E-Coupon for a specific product lot. The E-Coupon is displayed on a consumer’s personal smartphone or on other kind of display devices such as an Electronic Shelf Label (ESL).
The dynamic lot-based offers are automatically redeemed at the supermarket’s Point Of Sale (POS) after automatic standard GS1 DataBar scanning for product attributes such as lot#, batch# or sell-by date.
“End Grocery Waste” App benefits
- Maximizes supermarket sales revenue (See Business Case)
- Attracts more customers to the store through relevant and personalized offers (See Social Impact)
- Improves food safety by making it easy to identify expired and recalled perishables from a specific lot while on the shelves
- Differentiates food retailers and other technology participants as environmentally friendly
DataBarTM is a GS1 trademark