- About 1.3 billion tonnes of the world’s food is wasted every year and more than 40% of food losses happen at the retail and consumer levels 
- The excess inventory of perishable food items close to their expiration causes waste
The “End Grocery Waste” application automatically and dynamically offers discounted price and other purchasing incentives for perishables approaching their expiration dates.
Utilizing the new Cycled Discount Labeling technique, along with the emerging GS1 DataBarTM standard and new Information Technology (IT) elements, eliminates labor-intensive manual promotional labeling of products from specific lots. A static Cycled Discount Label on the product is automatically and dynamically associated with the promotion level of a specific lot as displayed on a consumer’s personal smartphone or on other kind of display devices such as an Electronic Shelf Label (ESL).
The dynamic lot-based offers are automatically redeemed at the retailer’s Point Of Sale (POS) after standard GS1 DataBar scanning for product attributes such as lot#, batch# or sell-by date.
“End Grocery Waste” application gains
- Maximizes retailer sales revenue (See Business Case) by minimizing losses from perishable waste
- Improves food safety by making it easy to identify expired and recalled perishable food items from a specific lot while on the shelves
- Differentiates food retailers and other technology participants as environmentally friendly by offering fresh food waste reduction
- Makes fresh food more affordable (See Social Impact) by offering relevant discounts on products from lots whose remaining shelf life matches the consumer’s personal consumption pattern
DataBarTM is a GS1 trademark